Through our educational field trips, students learn about science, history or math; art and culture; mining history; and geology. The trip starts with the exhibits at the Visitor Center, a view of the open cut, and an educational activity. You can also choose to take tours of the Historic Homestake Opera House , the Black Hills Mining Museum and a surface tour at Sanford Lab.
- Tour the simulated underground gold mine
- Pan for gold (extra charge)
- Tour the Opera House
- Experience this huge theater built in 1914 that boasted a heated indoor swimming pool, a bowling alley, and billiards hall. Experience the amazing acoustics, climb the grand staircase to the new Interpretive Exhibit, and plan to attend one of 50 year-round concerts, theatre, and events.
- Learn about the geology that led to the area's gold
- Learn about what is going on underground and why researchers are working 4850 feet below ground
- Ride the trolley and see how the hoist room works and were the researchers around the world go underground
- Participate in a scavenger hunt around the facility
- Science Experiments from Edible Chemistry to molecule madness!
- Activity and tours focus on the science experiments and engineering on the 4850 Level of Sanford Lab, all geared toward grade level. Learn about water flow, treatment and environmental monitoring; cosmic rays; geology; and more.
Customize a Program for your Class
- 1.5 Hours: Choose 1 activity
- 3 Hours: Choose 2 activities
- Full Day: Choose 3 or more activities
All activities aligned to SD Department of Education standards for grades 3-5 or 6-8 in history, science or math. Picnic area available for outdoor lunch at Manuel Brothers Park adjacent to the Sanford Lab Homestake Visitor Center.
$3.00-$10.00 / student
*Price dependent on number of activities.
**Teachers, chaperons and bus drivers are free of charge.
Sanford Lab Homestake Visitor Center
Donna Job, Executive Director
The Science of Food & Wine
Please join us Friday, February 15, 2019 at 6pm for this informative and fun evening! Dave from Cheyenne Crossing and Kara from Firehouse Wine Cellars will both be teaching about the chemistry involved in cooking and wine making, plus giving suggestions on wine pairing. The menu includes Shrimp du Jon, Martha’s Vineyard Salad, Beef & Pork w/white marinara & tomatoes, and fruit cobbler. All courses come with a delicious wine:) Cost is $25 per person and seating is limited. Call 605-584-3110 to reserve your spot!Find Out More